Precision Tooling Services Limited provides high quality precision manufacturing services from their modern facility in Prestwick. Employing a workforce of more than 80 people, their advanced equipment and highly skilled engineers manufacture complex components across a broad spectrum of technically demanding markets.
Precision Tooling approached the Supply Chain AeroSpace team for help in business development and future-proofing. In particular, they were looking for support to: engage with OEM manufacturers; develop new capabilities in manufacturing engineering; improve their skills development and recruitment process; and engage with relevant national bodies.
The SCA team, together with support from a South Ayrshire Council Growth and Skills Adviser, worked in-depth with Precision Tooling to understand their priorities, and then develop and co-ordinate a bespoke support plan which included:
- Specialist support to enable entry to a new sector – aerospace and space – which involved developing a business action plan, and carrying out market research and feasibility studies.
- Introduction to growth sector opportunities and industrial supply chain events.
- Skills and training opportunities delivered at Skypath Aero Training Centre, eg ready to work hand skills course graduates and upskilling assembly courses.
- Introductions to National Manufacturing Institute Scotland (NMIS) and University of Strathclyde projects that provided business capability mapping and evaluated strategic development options.
- Engagement with the EXTEND Low Carbon Challenge Fund and the South Ayrshire Towards a Net Zero Economy programme, to explore fuel cost reduction options and opportunities to increase sustainability.
- Specialist support via the Scottish Enterprise account management team with future development plans.
- Opportunity to engage with Leadership Essentials, a pan-Ayrshire authority / SE development programme.
“We’ve worked closely with our South Ayrshire Council Business Support team to create a plan that moves at a pace we can handle without compromising day-to-day business. The team has supported our project plans and listened to our priorities, helping us tackle the most pressing areas first. There’s a broad range of support available in Scotland and the team has saved us a lot of guesswork by introducing us to relevant contacts and projects. Working with them also gives us a voice to influence local investments like the Ayrshire Growth Deal, particularly through the Prestwick Aerospace Operations Group and, recently, by arranging a meeting with the Council Leader and Chief Executive.”
Peter Currie, Managing Director